The 4 pillars
The Four Pillars for Bibles on Demand
1. Print on Demand Machinery
- Current technology allows printing digitally on lightweight paper (Bible paper) with a good results, including different finishing characteristics, such as different types of binding (thread sewn, perfect binding) and paper (substrates, gsm, color).
- It’s possible to establish alternatives to make use of the available equipment in the market to have a full line of production, including the packaging and shipping to multiple destinations.
- Advantages of POD
- Allows Bibles to be printed in flexible quantities
- Cost effective relation according to these lower amounts
- Print an extensive type of Bibles from one copy (diglot Bibles, large print formats, great diversity of languages for minority populations)
2. Typesetting, Digital Bible Library and Global Bible Catalog
- A complex work supported by the advantages and possibilities that the Digital Bible Library, DBL, has deployed.
- Also, the Paratext project provides great help along with the Publishing Assistant layoutt, all in order to develop a better construction for the Bibles that will be uploaded to the DBL.
- Following processes to have a succesful organization includes the DBL licence for the BOD use, a record of the BOD system availability in the GBC and, finally, the public availability via BOD in the system.
- Creating the BOD Bible Catalogue, based on standards, that guarantee printing correctly, affordably, and efficiently anywhere in the world.
- The common goal is to increase the BOD repository one by one, working collaboratively and closely with the copyright holders of the different versions, also defining the business models between the all parties.
3. From very few copies to hundreds or thousands on the Supply Chain process
- It’s possible to create an efficient system for distributing Bibles to everyone in the best way possible, guaranteeing the Bibles availability at the right locations and at the right time.
- We are developing a system that attempts to meet these needs through a combination of supply chain management, digital printing and printing on demand.
- To print few amounts, hundreds (auto replenishment or Ultra short–run) and to continue thinking how to strengthen the Digital Supply Chain pure necessities.
- New technologies and specialized services allow the involvement of other distribution systems in the worldwide market (digital distributors, content aggregators and specialized third-party companies).
4. E-commerce (specialized websites)
- Every Bible Society would connect with the print-on-demand system at Global Bible Catalog, and offer specialized Bibles.
- Hundreds of languages and thousands of versions would be available to print from small quantities, using digital platforms connected to the digital ecosystems that will be built for this propose.